Surviving Mesothelioma / Mesothelioma Settlement
Are Mesothelioma Settlements Available to Me?
It is estimated that 90% of mesothelioma cases are settled before trial. However, the actual amounts of mesothelioma settlement are usually confidential because companies do not want it widely known what they are willing to pay. This can make it more difficult for you to determine who may be the best mesothelioma lawyer for your case. If you ask various lawyers about their mesothelioma settlements you will probably be told they are very successful. If you press for a number perhaps you may be told “millions.” This is not very helpful because it can be difficult to verify such statements. So how can you get reliable information on the actual results of different lawyers when mesothelioma settlements are kept confidential?
Verdicts are Public
There is a way! While settlement numbers are not public information, verdicts normally are. A verdict is the formal finding of fact made by a jury on matters or questions submitted to the jury by a judge. In the context of a mesothelioma lawsuit, verdicts also encompass the award or the amount of money the jury awarded the plaintiff (the mesothelioma victim and/or their family). Verdicts can be used as a surrogate or indicator for mesothelioma settlements.
How is this possible? When defendants agree to specific settlement amounts, part of their analysis is based on what they would have to pay if that particular case went to trial and there was a verdict in favor of the mesothelioma victim. In other words, defendants consider the past verdicts of your lawyers when agreeing to a settlement figure. Bigger historic verdicts against them (by your lawyers) usually mean higher settlements for you. And of course, lower historic verdicts by your lawyers in past cases can mean lower future settlements.
Therefore, researching the recent verdicts of different mesothelioma lawyers and law firms can give you a window into the law firm’s level of success and what mesothelioma settlement you may anticipate against specific defendants.
Below are examples of actual verdicts. If you would like the names of the law firms that obtained these results for their clients, please fill-out the form below this list.
- 70 year-old former veteran who worked ten years as a boiler technician in the U.S. Navy – verdict $2,400,000.00 awarded.
- 69 year-old man who was a career painter/handyman who worked primarily on homes and apartment buildings – verdict for $8,465,000.00 awarded.
- 79 year-old man who served in the U.S. Navy from 1948-1957 and was responsible for the maintenance of diesel engines – verdict $4,500,000.00 awarded.
- 66 year-old man who was exposed to asbestos while serving in the U.S. Navy – verdict 16,925,000.00 awarded.
- 62 year-old man exposed to asbestos during two summers working at a steel factory – verdict $8,020,000.00 awarded.
- 74 year-old man who served as a fireman and boiler tender for four years during the Korean War and later worked in the petroleum industry – verdict $35,100,000.00 awarded.
- 74 year-old construction laborer who worked with asbestos-containing products during his career – verdict $15,250,000.00 awarded.
- 71 year-old former banker who remodeled personal and investment homes during the 1960-70’s – verdict $12,600,000.00 awarded.
- 68 year-old man who worked as an insulators helper at a power plant – verdict $11,100,000.00 awarded.
If you would like the names of the law firms that obtained these actual results for their clients, please fill-out the form below: