Navigating Ipilimumab and Nivolumab Treatment for Mesothelioma: Insights from the United Kingdom

Navigating Ipilimumab and Nivolumab Treatment for Mesothelioma: Insights from the United Kingdom

Being diagnosed with mesothelioma is tough. However, it’s vital to know about new treatments and their effects. In the United Kingdom, Ipilimumab and Nivolumab (IPI/NIVO) are now the top treatments.

A new article in Lung Cancer reviews Ipilimumab and Nivolumab results and factors, using a study from a UK hospital.

Understanding the Treatment Landscape

The arrival of IPI/NIVO has changed mesothelioma treatment. It comes from the CHECKMATE 743 study, which showed great results. This treatment improves survival more than standard chemotherapy. It’s especially good for patients with non-epithelioid mesothelioma. The side effects of IPI/NIVO are similar to those in other cancers.

A study at a UK center looked at mesothelioma patients on IPI/NIVO treatment. It aimed to check its real-world success and safety. The study covered 62 patients. Most had the epithelioid subtype (73%), while the rest had non-epithelioid (27%).

Overall, patients survived for 24.0 months on average. This was true for both subtypes. Survival rates were good. At one year, it was 78.89%, and at two, 52.1%. This shows the treatment’s long-term benefits.

About 45% of patients faced severe side effects. Colitis, or swelling and inflammation of the colon, was most common. Almost 40% needed high-dose steroids for these. This highlights the need for ongoing symptom management. For some patients, extra treatments were necessary (11%). However, survival wasn’t affected in these cases.

One interesting finding was that patients in later treatments fared as well as those in the first line. This shows IPI/NIVO’s potential in managing mesothelioma.

Key Takeaways for Patients and Caregivers

Staying updated on mesothelioma treatments is key for patients and caregivers. Knowing about IPI/NIVO therapy, its benefits, and side effects is crucial for making informed decisions. Managing side effects, like colitis, well is important for positive outcomes. Patients should quickly report symptoms to get the right care.

The timing of IPI/NIVO treatment, whether early or later, doesn’t affect survival much. Discussing options when it comes to timing with healthcare providers is vital. They can help choose the best treatment based on the patient’s situation.

Experience with Ipilimumab and Nivolumab at a UK center shows their value for mesothelioma. Being informed and working closely with healthcare providers gives patients and caregivers the confidence and hope to manage mesothelioma.


McMahon, David John, Trisha Patel, Rehab Ahmed, Alexius John, Elizabeth Cartwright, Thubeena Manickavasagar, Charlotte Milner-Watts, et al. “73 Ipilimumab and Nivolumab for Mesothelioma: A Real-World UK Tertiary Centre Experience.” Lung Cancer 190 (April 1, 2024). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2024.107634.

Similar Posts